Friday, November 11, 2011

Ugh.

Today was "that" day.

You know, the one that keeps getting worse the longer you're awake. The one where you feel like whatever you do, you won't succeed?

It didn't start out that way...In fact, I had a good time with God before leaving for my trip to school. I made all of my connections (I even made the earlier tram!).

But, then class started and the day took a drastic turn for the worse.

Today was the day that I felt like the dumbest one in class. As the teacher was trying to explain things, I was just not getting it. Have you ever had times like that? When you sincerely try to understand, but no matter how hard you try, you are just NOT getting it? No matter what I did, I wasn't following her today. And everyone else was.

Not only was I not understanding her, my classmates were laughing at my expense. I'm sure it was not intended to make fun, but it definitely didn't feel good to be laughed at on top of already feeling stupid.

To make matters worse, I had missed the entire week before because I was at the EMM retreat in Lithuania. I hadn't felt the absence until today though. I guess it sort-of caught up to me you could say.

However you look at it, it was the longest 4 and 1/2 hours I've had in a long time.

But, I made it through...and the day got better...thanks to a great conversation with a dear friend, time with my host family (who are incredible! I should dedicate a whole post to them!), and the chance to relax.

I know, it's all part of learning a new language. There will be times I feel like I am understanding and progressing...and there will be times where I feel like I'm taking 12 steps back. Even when the times get tough and I wonder how in the world I'll be able to learn this language, I know that I am where I am supposed to be. God has me here for a reason and I need to rely on Him during these times, not myself.

Besides, tomorrow is a new day. Maybe my language will look differently then. One can hope... :)

2 comments:

  1. No doubt, days like that can be frustrating. Sorry, friend. I understand feeling behind - I definitely was when I started class in fall and still feel that way some of the time. Thankfully, a rough day (or week!) of class doesn't generally undo what you've already learned.
    Remembering you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post was a great reminder to be compassionate toward my students who are learning a new language. If you have those days, and you are a mature adult abiding in Christ, what must my 10 year old students be feeling?

    ReplyDelete