Monday, November 7, 2011

Reflections on a life well lived

Death.

It's a part of life that will happen to each of us eventually. But, it doesn't always make it easier to understand.

I found out yesterday morning that Berneda King, a dear woman from my church in Ohio, passed away on Saturday. Berneda was a frail old woman who had been declining in health over the past few years. Each time I'd go home, I would notice it. Her passing wasn't unexpected...unless you count the fact that it was caused by an unexpected fall...but I still grieve her loss deeply.

You see, Berneda wasn't just someone from my church. Berneda was the grandmother of my dear friend, Kendra. During the summers when Kendra stayed with her grandparents, I would be over there all the time. I have many fond memories that took place in the King household. Berneda became like my own grandmother.

She was a quiet woman, but one whose smile could light up a room.

She always made me feel welcome and important, no matter where I'd see her.

She was proud of each family member; often making sure to tell me the most recent news.

She was a great cook! I still remember her cookies...yum! :)

She loved God and others deeply.

There are so many other reasons why I loved her...and why I'm going to miss her. West Clinton will be a different place when I go back again because she won't be there. And yet, I know that she's no longer suffering. She's in heaven, with a new body, free from illness and disease. In the midst of the grief, these things give me hope.

Berneda's passing also makes me realize again how fragile life is. None of us know how long we have on this earth. When I left the States for the Czech Republic, that was a reality I had to deal with. All four of my grandparents are still living...how could I leave not knowing if I'd ever see them again this side of heaven?

I'll admit, it wasn't easy - for them or for me. But, I knew I had to obey God's call...and all four of them released me to do so. I am grateful for their support, and don't take it lightly. I want to enjoy the gift of these relationships (and all the other ones) while I still have them.

I want to live my life intentionally.

To the King family - my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Rest in Peace, Berneda. You were very loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment