A few weeks ago, I was asked to write an article for an upcoming issue of Missionary Messenger (EMM's bimonthly magazine). I'm not sure when it'll come out, but I thought you may be interested in reading what I had to say about language learning. It ties right in to what I wrote last week too. :)
**********************************************************************************
At 31 years old, you would think I am pretty confident in my ability to communicate verbally. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case.
You see, I am starting all over again. I’m attempting to learn a completely new language. And, let me tell you; the Czech language isn’t the easiest language in the world to learn! It has completely different verb endings, sentence structure, pronunciation, grammar, letters and definitions; not to mention it’s the first language I’ve learned that has cases. It’s hard work!
Honestly, I could probably get by here in Prague without learning more Czech. I’m a foreigner; especially an American, who they don’t expect to know or learn Czech. But if I don’t attempt their language, instead expecting them to speak my language even though I’m in their country – what does that communicate about me? I think it communicates that I think my ways, my language, and my culture are superior to theirs. Not a good thing to communicate if one wants to share Christ.
So, what’s my story? Why am I attempting to learn Czech, when I’ve been told by many people that it’s one of the hardest languages to learn? How do I even go about learning a language?
In my first month here, I was often asked why I’m in the Czech Republic. After answering, “to learn the language and build relationships with people” the follow-up question was always, “why?” They couldn’t understand why I would leave my family and friends, my language and my culture and come to an unknown place simply to learn a language and build relationships…especially when that language was Czech.
So, why did I want to learn the language?
I feel like learning the language is one of the most important things that a missionary can do. Why? Because it shows people that I’m not here to make them conform to my American ways (or to my language). It shows people that I am teachable. It brings out humility, even in the most prideful person. It shows honor and respect to the people you meet. And, it provides a great way to build connections with people (everyone who is learning a language should have someone to practice the language with on a regular basis!).
One of the best decisions that I made was to live with a host family. They are incredibly patient with me, often repeating themselves until I understand. We watch Czech t.v. together (where I am beginning to understand a little more each day), they help me with my homework, they correct my pronunciation. But the best part is that they have a 1 ½ year old daughter. I think we’re on the same level in our ability to speak Czech. As for comprehension, she is much more advanced. But, it’s good practice for me to be around a child while she is learning to speak as well. You should see the way their faces light up when they hear that I’m American and yet I’m trying to speak Czech. Even if I speak poorly, I am trying. And they are grateful. Just yesterday, they told me they were impressed with my attempt to form a rather long sentence. Little by little.
Things I’ve learned along the way
- I need to learn to rejoice in the small accomplishments. The other day, I felt like I had a major success. I was able to ask a complete stranger if a particular train was going to the town I wanted to go to. Not only did only did the woman understand what I said, I understood her answer! Being able to order in a restaurant is another victory I’ve had recently. Was my sentence structure or my grammar perfectly correct? Probably not. But did I get my point across enough to be understood? Yes, because I made it to the correct train station and I received the food I wanted. It’s the small victories in learning a language that make you feel like you can continue.
- You need to learn to laugh at yourself. For me, this started on day one. Being one of the only people in my language class that has never heard some of the sounds of various Czech letters, I learned early on that it’s better to laugh at yourself (and allow others to laugh with you) than to get frustrated and stop trying.
- Learn to be ok with sounding ridiculous or like a child. This is a hard one for me. I am the type of person who normally doesn’t want to speak unless I know it will be said in the correct form, using the correct words because I don’t like to make a fool of myself. Something has shifted within me since being here though. I find that I try to use the little bit of language that I know. I have to start somewhere.
- Try and try and try. Even when people ask me questions in English, I’ve been trying to respond in Czech. Not only is it good practice for me, it shows them that I’m serious about learning their language. Of course, many times, It’s a mixture of Czech and English, with a little bit of Spanish thrown in for fun. :)
Yes, I have felt isolated and alone. Yes, I’ve felt frustrated. Yes, I’ve been laughed at because I don’t understand. Yes, people sometimes get impatient or annoyed with me because I can’t speak their language. Yes, there are days I long for home and to speak English. But, you know what, there are also many days where I see the way I’m able to communicate a little bit more than the day before. I’m able to see the possibility of maybe actually learning this language.
When I first arrived, I liked it when people mistook me for a Czech person because I looked like I fit. Now, I get excited when I can speak with them. Even after being here for 6 weeks, my ears are still not tuned in to all the sounds around me. But, it is coming slowly.
For me, learning a language often leads to some random phrases that will forever stick in your mind. Take the one phrase I still remember in Swahili (from almost 9 years ago), “miti anangucka” which means “the trees are falling.” Did I ever even use that phrase? Nope. But I liked how it sounded and it stuck.
I wonder what kinds of phrases I’ll remember from Czech.
No comments:
Post a Comment