Tuesday, April 10, 2018

In case you've been wondering...

Sometimes I sit here, pondering what to write; wondering what will be considered 'interesting' to all of you. I think about the routine, potentially 'boring' topics, like my normal schedule of English lessons and Czech lessons, combined with Skype calls and administrative tasks. I consider writing about the more interesting aspects of life, like spending Easter in Honduras with my family. Both good topics, but neither something that I feel like expanding on here in this space. So, what to write about? What would you want to hear about? (If you have ideas, feel free to shoot me an email or message...) 

In recent months, I have shared with some of you my experience with the Battle for Your Heart Bible Study. But, I've never really explained it beyond that. Maybe this would be something you'd find interesting? Fair warning: if that doesn't sound interesting, you can stop reading now. :) 

Put simply, Battle for Your Heart is a Bible Study that combines personal study with a regular time with an accountability group. It looks at topics like who we are in Christ and what it looks like to fully live from all areas of our hearts. I am blessed to go through this process with three other friends. Each week, we have a daily portion, where we are reading Scripture and reflecting on it, as well as applying it to our own lives and situations. At the end of the week, we meet together as a group and talk about the things that God spoke to us throughout the week's study. 

There have been numerous things that God has spoken to me through these times (both the personal times and in the group settings). Sometimes it's a simply nugget of truth like the fact that we were created in the image of God and carry His essence within us. That was a powerful thought for me. What does it mean to carry His essence? Do I live in that way? If not, what needs to change so that I do? 

At other times, it's more of a challenge; like when I read about Hannah and the fact that she persevered in prayer for 7 years, asking the Lord repeatedly for her heart's desire. Do I have enough faith to persevere in prayer for that long, amidst the doubts and maybe even taunts from others? 

I've also learned how much we need community. Without these friends to walk with me through this study, I know that I wouldn't have learned as much as I have. I need the community around me, to walk with and encourage me; to believe and hope for change when I can't, and to stand with me when I feel weak. I am so thankful for each of them! 

As I continue to go through this study, I am excited to see what God will teach me. I don't expect it to always be easy, but I know that it will be transformative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment