You are the light of the world – like a city on a mountain, glowing in
the night
for all to see. Don’t hide your light under a basket! Instead,
put it on a stand and let it shine for all.
Matthew 5:14-15 (NLT)
Recently I’ve been struck by the concept of light; in
particular, how light breaks through the darkness. On a dark night, even one
house with a single light in the window can be seen for miles around.
When I looked up ‘light’ on Bible Gateway, 263 references
throughout Scripture came up. Some were about lightening…some were connected to
the weight of something (light versus heavy), but many of them were in
reference to light that shines through darkness.
As I have reflected on light, I can’t help but think of how
even one tiny candle can bring light to a dark room. We use light to expose the
darkness, whether that be literal or figuratively.
Lights flicker. Sometimes they go out. But, when there are
two lights together, their strength is much greater. There is not only more
brightness, but less flickering. There isn’t as much doubt that the lights will
continue to burn.
I really love the parallel to spiritual light. When one
believer enters a dark place, the darkness must flee. That one believer may
waver in the midst of the difficulties and darkness around them. And, they may
give up and lose their faith completely. But the cool thing is that when
another believer comes, the first one is strengthened.
When we unite together, and shine our lights and live as
people of the light, the darkness will
be pushed back. God will be (and is) victorious. What a promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment