Saturday, March 7, 2015

About birthdays

I had a birthday this week; kind-of a big one. When people ask me about it, I think they expect me to feel sad because the number keeps increasing. Or maybe because they wonder if I'm disappointed about where my life is. But, the number has never been a big deal for me. I mean, age is just a number, right? (Yes, I say that now...wait a few years and we'll see if I still say this...I've heard it all.)

But the truth of the matter is, I honestly don't remember ever getting worked up over a birthday. Even my 16th birthday, when everyone is so excited because they get their license. Was I excited about it? Yes. But I had been driving for a few years on the farm already, so I was just making it official that I could drive.

Even my 30th. It wasn't really a big deal when I turned 30. I remember that it was a really good birthday. In fact, it may be one of my favorites. But I don't remember really lamenting the fact that I was 30 or that my life was moving ahead of my dreams or anything like that.

Today is about the big 3-5. I felt so loved and cared for this year. From the sun shining all day to the numerous cards, gifts, messages, videos...I knew that people literally around the world had thought of me at some point in the day. That means a lot to me. My day was fairly normal. I taught an English lesson to the moms at the Center (where we talked about birthdays, while enjoying one of my favorite cakes here). Later that night, I went out for a steak with some good friends. It was the best steak I've ever had in Prague! The day was topped off with conversations with a dear friend and then my Dad. It was a really good day!

But back to the question. Am I disappointed at the way my life has turned out so far? Aren't there things that I wish were different? Well, yes, there are some things in my life that I wish were different. But, am I disappointed about where I'm at and what I'm doing in my life? No. Absolutely not. I am honored to have done all the things I've done...to live where I live...to do what I do. But, birthday or not, I try to live my life in a way so that I don't have a lot of regrets.

So, here's to 35, and to living life without regrets!


No comments:

Post a Comment