Thursday, June 20, 2013

Prázdniny!

[Translation: Summer vacation!]

Yesterday was my last day at the Family Center for this (school) year. It's hard to believe how quickly the last 10 months have gone. In some ways, it feels like a mere 2 months ago that I first started attending the Center and having English conversation lessons. In other ways though (ahem, lesson planning), it feels like it has been much longer than 10 months.

Other than lesson planning, I really enjoyed my English conversation lessons. The women that attended are some of the sweetest women I've met. They were a joy to meet with, teach, and talk with. I have learned a lot from them and about them. I am grateful for the times we had together and the ways that they encouraged me. Each one is very dear to me.

I also really enjoyed Tuesdays when I taught the children an English song, using a parrot puppet. Oh, how the children loved Pete the parrot! Even this week, after 10 months of "talking" with Pete, the children flocked to see him one last time. I wonder if they'll remember him in September when the Family Center reopens...

The Center was also a great place for me to practice my Czech. No, I certainly wasn't the most outgoing person at the Center, but I did try to talk with at least 1-2 people in Czech each time I was there. Sometimes that would be a 3 minute conversation and sometimes it would be 15 minutes. Each time, I was encouraged when I walked away and understood what was said and knew that I had communicated. Because of the Center, I feel like my Czech has improved this past year (hopefully it's true!).

When I reflect on the past 10 months, many faces come to mind; both children and adults. I was blessed this year to meet and get to know (in varying degrees) so many interesting people. And, I am already looking forward to next year and how it will unfold. I'm hoping to expand on the relationships that were started this year, as well as meet new people.

Until then...I'm going to enjoy my vacation! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment