Thursday, July 4, 2013

Learning to Rest

Here's an excerpt from my recent newsletter. Thought I'd share some thoughts with you on what's been rolling around my head the past few weeks. Enjoy. :) 

Lately I've been reflecting on Rest. In many ways, I don't think that I 'rest' well. I tend to want to always be busy and doing things...many times to the point of doing too much. I'm sure this doesn't happen to any of you. :)

My work at the Family Center ended June 19 (we close for the summer). Since that time, I've had a lot more free time than normal. At first, this was a struggle for me. I wanted to fill it with lots of activities and meetings with people. I thought that's what I should do...and what any 'good missionary' would do. But, that felt tiring and draining and I realized that I really didn't have much energy for setting up so many meetings (since I still have to do most of the initiating in relationships here).

So, what to do? If I spent the two weeks resting between the close of the Family Center and my trip to the US, wouldn't that make me lazy? Wouldn't people think that I am wasting my time and not being productive? Maybe. But, through the help of friends, I realized something. I realized that I need to take time to rest and to see this time as a blessing from God. I just finished a busy season...and have a very full 3 weeks in the US coming up, followed immediately by an intensive 4 week TEFL course (in Prague). So, why shouldn't I take advantage of these two weeks and rest?!

No, I am not neglecting my duties. I am still meeting with some of my English conversation people. I still have Czech lessons, I'm still going to church and my Czech Bible Study.

But, I also am taking time to rest. To do fun reading. To journal. To relax. To sleep in. To play my piano. To spend time with friends.I am trying to find the balance in life, so that I don't enter this next season burned out, with nothing left to give.


Maybe I'm trying to justify my actions and not having a "good story" to share with you this month, but I see it as being real. I want you to know that I am trying to take care of myself in all areas, because that's important too.

No comments:

Post a Comment