Friday, October 19, 2012

Oh, blessed relationships!

People often ask me what I am doing here in Prague. Sometimes (or maybe most times?), it seems inadequate to respond with, "building relationships," but in essence, that's what I'm doing.

I am building relationships with the parents and children at the Family Center (where I teach conversational English).

I am building relationships with church members through Sunday services and my Monday Night Women's Bible Study.

I am building relationships with the youth group at church.

I am building relationships with others that I've met through various ways.

A few weeks ago, I was asked why I chose to come to the Czech Republic. I've never really had a good, concise answer to that question...until that particular day. I felt like God gave me the exact words to describe why I'm here. I told the women that I am here because I love Jesus and I love people. I feel like God wanted me to come to the Czech Republic to love them. I continued by saying that everyone is lonely at times, everyone wants to have friends. I came to help people see that they are loved and to be their friend.

It sounds simple. And maybe it is. But, it's what I feel like God has asked me to do.

So, these relationships that I'm building...Well, they're my way of getting to know people and become their friend, with the hope of showing them Christ's love. It's going to coffee with them. Or inviting them over to my house to practice their English and my Czech. Or praying with them about the struggles of life.

I think it's pretty important stuff. And, I'm so glad that I am here to do it! 

1 comment:

  1. This is the most valuable thing you can do to people - just love them, their flaws and all, and be their friend. Sometimes you can bring the Spirit of Jesus to somebody without actually saying His Name, simply by doing what the Holy Spirit is prompting you to do.

    Thank you so much for your blog. I love it. I can totally relate. I am at the start of the same journey. I am going to Nicaragua, from a big city in Russia.. wow! Never in the world did I indend to actually go there, but I know this is where God is leading me to do His work. So glad to know you are in pretty much the same boat!:)
    blessings,
    Lily

    ReplyDelete