Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What's in a year? Reflecting on 2012...

It's that time of year again where a lot of people reflect on the past year; thinking of the joys, the struggles, the highs, the lows and then they look forward to what the New Year could bring. Since it's been almost forever since I've blogged, I thought I'd give you a glimpse into the past 12 months in my life (if I can remember back that far - ha!).

  • After 10 intensive months of language school, I finished classes in June. I'm not even close to fluent in Czech, but I did learn a lot and I'm glad I went through the classes. I hope to take more classes in the future (though unsure of when that will actually happen). 
  • This Fall, I began to teach English at the Family Center, held at my church. Though I don't always (often) feel like a great teacher, I enjoyed my class and enjoyed getting to know the women in it. It was a fun opportunity for me! 
  • I became a member of my church here in Prague. This was a decision I made as a way to show I was committed to them. I wanted to be a part of them officially. Nothing has really changed, other than now we all know that they are my church body. They welcomed me warmly after the service...and since I didn't broadcast that it was happening, many people were surprised when my name was called. :)
  • Moving to a new flat. Back in October, I moved into a flat closer to my church. It has been a blessing to live in the community where I work. There are a number of people that I've gotten to know who live nearby. Plus, it is close enough to public transport that I can be downtown in 30 minutes, while still enjoying the quiet (minus New Year's Eve when fireworks are erupting every few minutes!). 
  • Visitors! I was blessed to have a number of visitors come in 2012. What a blessing to be able to show them my life here! 
  • Spending Christmas in the Czech! I didn't have the traditional meal of carp (though I did have the potato salad), but it was a wonderful time! I spent the evening with some friends from church. We ate, talked, opened gifts, played games and simply enjoyed each other's company. It's definitely one I'll remember for a long time! 
  • Another highlight of the year has nothing to do with the Czech...but it's a pretty special one for me! My nephew learned to say my name this year! Talk about melting your heart! I miss that little guy (and many others as well) and can't wait to see him again!
Don't get me wrong, there were definitely times of struggle throughout the year too...frustrations in learning a new language...my bad habit of comparing myself to others (in language ability, in the work that I do, in relationships, in being effective)...missing important events at home...

But, through it all, I have been able to see how God has been working. He's providing friendships. He's giving me people who care about me for me, not simply because I'm the foreigner living among them. He's showing me how to have more grace for myself. He's reminding me about how this is a journey; not something I'll accomplish in one year, but something I'll work on for a lifetime. He's comforting me when I'm sad or missing home. He's equipping me for tasks that I can't do on my own. He's helping me to see the joys in each day. 

What does 2013 hold? What am I looking forward to in these next 12 months? Good question. I'm looking forward to seeing what God has in store for me...whatever that may look like. It's not that I don't have dreams and ideas and plans, but I just want to live my life with an open hand...allowing God to change those dreams and ideas and plans to fit His plans for my life. 

Though a quick trip to the US in July does rate pretty highly on my list of things I'm looking forward to in 2013...as does getting a teammate (or so) sometime in the next year...but beyond that, only God knows... :)

1 comment: