Sometimes things happen in life that you didn’t expect. Or,
maybe I should say many times in
life, things happen that you don’t expect. At least in my life.
I had another one of those twists this week.
For the past nine months, I have been attending intensive
Czech language courses…as in Monday through Friday for 5 hours a day…of Czech.
And, yes, that’s mostly grammar, with a little bit of listening, writing and
speaking exercises mixed in.
While I have a LONG, LONG way to go before becoming fluent,
I have definitely made progress. I am beginning to understand more when people
speak to me and I’m able to get my point across (at least to some degree). I
was feeling pretty good about myself…until this week.
Last week, I took the written part of my final exam. It
consisted of reading, listening, grammar and writing. Each section was worth 20
points (the final 20 points was the oral part that I would take this week). The
written part went well. I ended up getting a 65/80.
Going into the oral exam, I was pretty confident that it
would go okay as well because I have been told by numerous Czechs that I would
be fine…that I am able to get my point across and be understood.
Maybe I shouldn’t have been so confident.
I found out after the exam that I only scored a 9 out of 20.
Ouch. I’ll admit; I was quite frustrated. And the emotions took over for a
while…I began to wonder why I was here…if I’d ever be able to learn this
language…why I even attempted it…and if I was simply fooling myself into
believing I could communicate. Were people just being gracious with me and I
really wasn’t making sense when I talked?
I’m glad to say that the emotions died down and I was able
to see the truth once again. This test does not define me. And, it doesn’t
determine if I’m able to speak the language. It doesn’t change the fact that I
am called to this country and that I want to learn to speak Czech.
What the enemy intended for evil, the Lord has used for good.
Instead of doubting myself and my calling, I am believing in God’s goodness and
seeing how His hand is orchestrating events. Because of this turn of events, I
am now getting together with more Czech friends to practice with. Isn’t God
good?!
Oh, and the amusing thing in all this…I think my teacher is
taking it harder than I am (she wasn’t the one who gave me the oral test). She
kept saying how ridiculous it is that I didn’t pass because she knows I can
speak Czech. At least I can walk forward knowing at least one person at the
school believes in me! J
And now that school is done…I’ll have LOTS of time to
practice my Czech! J
No comments:
Post a Comment