Saturday, June 30, 2012

Sprechen sie Englisch? Bitte?

Too bad my brain doesn't have a "Google Translate" feature for every language! It would have come in handy this week.

For the past week, I was taking some (in my opinion) much-earned vacation time...a little R & R after 9 months of intensive language study. A friend and I headed over to Berlin (Germany) for 5 fun-filled days. Too bad the sun decided not to come along with us! :(


Spending a week in Berlin gave me a chance to be a tourist...a time to learn...a time to connect with friends, both old and new...and a time to enjoy STEAK (hey, it was vacation - I splurged!). :)
One of the remaining sections of the Wall
I have been to numerous places within Germany, but never Berlin. What a fascinating city! There is so much history there...and in many ways, it gave me greater insight into what life was like under Communism...and how that had an impact on Czech culture. I wish I had more time to simply take it all in. 


It was great to get away for a few days, but I have to be honest, pulling back into the main train station in Prague, my first thought was, "it's so good to be home!" (This was followed closely by "I'll be able to read the menus again!") :) 


Jeanette, thanks again for coming to visit me in Prague and traveling with me to Germany. It was great to be able to show you around my city and to introduce you to people at church and to simply enjoy your company. Thanks for putting up with my crazy ideas and for walking a bit out of our way at times just because we didn't know where we were going. It's all about the adventure, right?! :)  


The only picture of the two of us on my camera...at the Prague Castle. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment