Sunday, December 18, 2011

It's Christmastime!

Christmas is one of my absolute favorite times of the year. I love the lights and decorations, the hours of baking (and eating!) a variety of sweets, the Christmas caroling, the traditions, the times of being together with family. I love the reason behind why we celebrate Christmas.

My absolute favorite church service is the candlelight service on Christmas eve when we all gather around the sanctuary, light our candles, turn off the lights and begin to sing "O Holy Night," "Joy to the World" and many other favorites. For me, there isn't a more beautiful sound.

But, this year, Christmas looks a bit different. I won't be a part of the normal Christmas traditions with my family. And while that's quite sad, it's been fun to see the way Christmas is celebrated here.

Yep, we still have advent services. And, the beautiful lights. And the mounds of cookies and other yummy sweets. And the times of being together with friends.

But do you know what else Europe has?

CHRISTMAS MARKETS.

I think I've found my new favorite thing about being in Europe! They are so much fun.

Last week, I went with some friends to the Christmas Market in Dresden, Germany (where these pictures are from). It was so much fun to walk around and see all the different stands with their handmade ornaments or candies or jewelry. To walk among the stalls and smell the sweet combination of fried dough and sugar. Yum.

There was the same hustle and bustle like in the stores in the States, and yet, it was different. People were willing to stop and look. Shopkeepers weren't frazzled, but still had the smile on their faces.

One of the neat things about the Dresden Christmas Market is that it is Germany's oldest Christmas market, dating back to 1434 (see http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/dresden_christmas_market.php for more info on the Dresden Christmas market). 

Prague has Christmas markets too (yes, plural), though they aren't as large as the one in Dresden. Here you can buy the traditional Czech sweet dough "Trdelnik" and other things. Probably the most popular Christmas market is in Old Town. It's especially beautiful at night!
"Trdelnik" (photo from cbpictures.com)

I'm looking forward to learning more about the Christmas traditions of the Czech Republic over the next few years...and of course, seeing more of the Christmas markets! Anyone want to join me next year?! :)






1 comment:

  1. Looks fun, Stacy! Vancouver has a German market right now too:) I hope you have a lovely Christmas, friend!!!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete