It's New Year's Eve and that always makes me ponder life...What was this last year like? What were the highlights from this year? How was I challenged? In what ways did I see growth?
And then there's the new year...What's in store for 2012? What are the things I want to do or see or experience in this year? What does God have in mind?
To give you a glimpse of what 2011 was like, here's a few of the highlights I came up with...as well as some things that I'm looking forward to in 2012.
![]() |
| Caden - opening his first stocking |
Caden Ryan Nofziger
In June, I became an aunt for the first time. This little boy has captured my heart, even if I don't get to see him very often. He's a joy to watch grow (via pictures and Skype and the stories from other family members). He has brought much joy to our family and in many ways, he has drawn us closer as a family. I look forward to seeing him grow and develop into his personality. He's a special little guy and will always hold a special place in this aunt's heart.
| with Becki, Bethany and Greta |
San Diego
In January, three dear friends and I took a spontaneous trip to San Diego. It was one last trip together before some major changes took place in each of our lives. What a blessed time! We laughed, we ate, we went to the zoo (and saw the koalas, just for Bethany), we made a lot of memories and we simply enjoyed each other's company. It was a great way to start the new year!
Quitting my job at EMM
I'm not sure if this was a highlight in the sense of "something really big and exciting that took place" but it was definitely something really big that took place. It was really strange to turn in my resignation, train someone new, and then step away. Even now, 6 months later, I still think about all that I left behind when I ended my employment on June 3. I didn't just leave behind emails and projects (though I did leave those too!), I left behind some dear people who I was privileged to call my friends. I learned a lot through my years of working for EMM. I am not the same person I was when I started back in October 2005...hopefully, I changed for the better. :)
Family vacation
| the family |
In August, my entire immediate family packed up and traveled 15+ hours in one van to the Outer Banks, NC for one last hurrah before I left for Prague (yep, Caden was 6 weeks old at the time). It was an amazing week. Each one of us has expressed gratitude for being able to take time to get away and be together one last time. We enjoyed the ocean, the pool, the food, the conversation, the games, the putt-putt golf and each other's company. I am so grateful that we have this memory to look back on. I love my family!
Prague
At the beginning of September, one of my life-long dreams became reality. I moved to Prague to start my three-year missions assignment. There were definitely days I didn't think it would ever happen. But it did. And now I've been here for almost 4 months. Throughout these months, I have been challenged, blessed, overwhelmed, frustrated, thrilled, grateful, and a whole host of other emotions. I had the privilege of living with a host family that I came to really love. I can see improvement in my language ability. I am building relationships. I love my church. I can't even begin to list all the ways I've been changed or the things I appreciate about these months.
| Becki, me, and Bethany |
Christmas in the Middle East
I was able to spend Christmas with two of my dear friends in the Middle East. This was a wonderfully refreshing time for me. I had hit the point where my brain couldn't comprehend any more Czech and this offered a perfect break. Christmas in the Czech is very family oriented and because I haven't been here long enough to develop deep enough friendships, I had no plans for Christmas. Christmas is not a holiday I wanted to be alone on...so I decided to spend it with some of my favorite people. For a whole week, we shared, prayed, encouraged, and simply enjoyed each other's company. Crazily enough, I started the year on a trip with these two and I ended this year with them too (Greta, you were missed!). :)
I'm sure there are other things I could share that would be highlights for me, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind. When I look back over this year, I am overwhelmed by God's goodness in my life. He has sustained me through the good times, the hard times, the joyous times and the frustrating times. Without Him, I would be completely lost.
That brings me to the things I'm looking forward to in 2012. You know, as I think about it...I really don't have a clue what to expect. That's one thing about God...He loves surprises! I am looking forward to developing relationships, to becoming a more active member in my church, to visits from family and friends, and to seeing how God will use me. I'm sure it'll be an adventure!
Blessings upon each one of you in 2012. I look forward to hearing how God is leading your adventure!

No comments:
Post a Comment