Thursday, February 10, 2011

New Revelation on a Familiar Passage...

How many times have I read through sections or stories in the Bible, and see them in the same light as the times before? Where I get the main point of the story, but maybe gloss over how it applies to my life today. For me, this happens too often...more than I'd like to admit or more than I would like to happen. I thought Scripture is supposed to come alive and be applicable to our lives today...but what happens when it doesn't? What happens when I feel like I read it and...nothing changes? What does that mean? What am I doing wrong?

While I'm sure I could analyze this whole thing in multiple ways (though if I'm honest, I'd probably think about it for a few minutes and then get bored with the thinking and move on), that's not actually the focus of this blog. You see, this time, when I read Scripture and discussed it, I got it. I got how it applies to me. I could see how I fit into the story.

It happened at church this past Sunday. The passage was from Mark 10:17-31, about the rich young ruler. This is what the passage says (from the NIV).
*****************************************************
"As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good - except God alone. You know the commandments, 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother."
"Teacher," he declared, "all these I have kept since I was a boy."

Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!"

The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, "Who then can be saved?"

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."

Peter said to him, "We have left everything to follow you!"

"I tell you the truth," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields - and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last first."

***************************************************
The last section has always drawn my attention. Not to sound spiritual, or like I have it all together (because I surely don't!), but I think this section caught my attention because I've known for a long time that I would be called to overseas missions. I knew that this would be me. But, in all honesty, I never really understood what it all meant.

Yep, I got the leaving part. I could identify with Peter. But what did Jesus mean when he said that those persons would receive back 100 times as much as they had lost IN THIS PRESENT AGE (not just by giving them eternal life)? What does that even mean?!

As we were discussing it on Sunday, someone shared that they think it may mean we gain community. Think about it. If I give up the rights to my stuff (home, family, etc.) and you give up yours, and we share it...we now have more than we started from. I need to release my grasp on these things in order to allow God to bless me with more. In the kingdom of God and in community, I will be provided for. Interesting thought...but it doesn't stop there.

This time, as I read it, I also was thinking about Prague. I'm giving up everything that I know...family, friends, home, job, church, life in general...and going to a place that is almost completely foreign to me. The longest period of time I've talked with someone there is 2 hours (and that was in a group setting). I don't have friends there. I don't have a place to live. I don't have a church. I don't have anything. And yet, as I read those words, I was overwhelmed with the sense of promise that they held. God will give back 100 times what I have given up. God will provide. I shouldn't fear, because He will provide. I will have those things. Wow. I'm both humbled and encouraged.

Thank you, Jesus, for this promise.


1 comment:

  1. Wow Stacey! Praise God for the way He spoke to you and praise Him because you could hear him speak and were obedient! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete