This quarter, I’m taking a class called Interpretive Practices. In it, we’re learning how to interpret and
use the Bible for today. What is the historical context of the passage? What
was the original meaning of the text? And, how can it apply to my life today?
It’s been an interesting class, in part, because we’re required to spend time
reading and reflecting on different passages of Scripture. Oh the things we can
learn! J
One of my class assignments was to study a narrative story
from the Bible and then interpret it; both from a historical standpoint and as
an application for today. I chose the story of Elijah and the widow of
Zarephath (1 Kings 17), where God promised the widow that she wouldn’t run out
of flour and oil during the famine. Not only did he provide the oil and flour
(every day for the duration of the famine – about 3.5 years), he even brought
her son back to life. It’s a pretty powerful story; you should take time to
re-read it!
That paper inadvertently started me on a journey of finding
passages on God’s provision. Without planning it, I’ve found myself reading
(and sometimes re-reading) certain passages, only to realize they too talk
about God’s provision. Even from the beginning, where God provided a helpmate
for Adam, and later even after Adam and Eve disobeyed God, HE provided them
with garments of skin. Or how God provides strength to the weak and weary. Like
a father, he gives good gifts to his children.
God is a God who provides. He longs to do it. But sometimes,
I forget that.
As I enter into a new season filled with unknowns, I hope
that I can remember to trust in the Great Provider…the one who knows me and my
needs better than I know myself. May I continue to recognize all of the ways he
provides.
That was awesome Stacy! Good insight and good encouragement
ReplyDelete