When I woke up this morning, my first thoughts were about my grandparents. It's probably because I was just talking about them on Sunday with my Dad. But, this morning I again realized how blessed I am.
You see, all four of my grandparents are still living. That's almost unheard of for someone my age. No, their health isn't as good as it used to be. And, I know they won't be around forever, but I realized how grateful I am to have had so much time with them.
An excerpt from today's journal entry about these thoughts rolling around my head...
I've been reflecting on family this morning and how blessed I am to know all four grandparents. That never ceases to amaze me. Yes, it's hard to be so far away as I hear about the way they are declining. Yes, I'd love to always have them there when I return home.
But that's not reality. And honestly, I wouldn't want that.
But it's hard to imagine life without them in it. Would we still get together as families at Thanksgiving and Christmas if they weren't here? So many unknown questions. All I know is that today I'm grateful. I'm grateful to have known them. I'm grateful to have a whole lifetime of memories with them. I'm just grateful for them.
One thing that this realization does for me is help me to not take my time with them for granted. Whether it's through the letters we write or the times we Skype or the times I've been able to visit them...each one is special because I realize that I won't always have them. They've had a part in shaping who I am today. For that, and for so much more, I am grateful.
You see, all four of my grandparents are still living. That's almost unheard of for someone my age. No, their health isn't as good as it used to be. And, I know they won't be around forever, but I realized how grateful I am to have had so much time with them.
An excerpt from today's journal entry about these thoughts rolling around my head...
I've been reflecting on family this morning and how blessed I am to know all four grandparents. That never ceases to amaze me. Yes, it's hard to be so far away as I hear about the way they are declining. Yes, I'd love to always have them there when I return home.
But that's not reality. And honestly, I wouldn't want that.
But it's hard to imagine life without them in it. Would we still get together as families at Thanksgiving and Christmas if they weren't here? So many unknown questions. All I know is that today I'm grateful. I'm grateful to have known them. I'm grateful to have a whole lifetime of memories with them. I'm just grateful for them.
One thing that this realization does for me is help me to not take my time with them for granted. Whether it's through the letters we write or the times we Skype or the times I've been able to visit them...each one is special because I realize that I won't always have them. They've had a part in shaping who I am today. For that, and for so much more, I am grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment