Monday, March 31, 2014

Visitors!


I’ve started this post multiple times in my head. But when I go to write it, I always blank on what to say. Maybe it’s writer’s block. Maybe it’s because nothing seems to be new and noteworthy. Maybe it’s simply laziness. Whatever it is, it’s time to break through and get another update out to you!

On the island of Torcello
The biggest news of the past few months is that my parents were here for two weeks in March! This was their first time, both in Prague and in Europe. We had to take advantage of that and do a little bit of travel! Ha.

We spent about 4.5 days in Venice, Italy. What a beautiful city! Before I went, I had heard that people either loved Venice or hated Venice. I guess I’m one of those that loved it. I thoroughly enjoyed walking the narrow streets and alleyways, winding our way over canals and around tourists. There’s such an interesting mix of ancient and modern, immaculate and run-down. I loved all of the textures, sights, and sounds. And the gelato, oh the gelato! I was in ice cream heaven for a few days. :)

in Venice

Once we returned to Prague, it was life as normal. My parents did a good job of following me to various things without complaining. They met a number of my students and friends. They saw what I do and how I spend my days. They experienced the city and the beautiful weather. They tried Czech food (and enjoyed it). Dad even got to a museum; though his favorite part was riding the public transport (we don’t have that on the farm in Ohio!). It was fun to see these things from their eyes and perspective.

After class
On their last night in Prague, we celebrated my birthday by eating some steak. Yum! But, it was also a time of reflection. I wanted to hear their thoughts about Prague and the things they learned. I was struck again by how similar lives are, whether we live in the US, the CZ or somewhere completely differently. We’ve all had our share of joys and struggles, happiness and pain. But, instead of allowing those things to put up barriers around us and our hearts, I realized again how I want that to give me greater empathy and love for those I meet. Hearing my parents’ reflections reminded me of how much I’ve come to love this place and her people. It’s become a part of me. And I will never be the same again.

Thanks, Dad and Mom for coming. Thanks for being a part of my world for a few weeks. I hope you never forget it, just like I hope I don’t forget the lessons I learned from our time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment