Teaching English in Prague wasn't something that I really anticipated doing. In fact, it's one of the things I didn't really want to do.
Funny how it's now the main thing that I do...
But, I can honestly say that it is a real joy (well, except for that pesky lesson planning, ha!).
I thought I'd "introduce" you to my students and give you a glimpse into what my week of lessons often looks like. Most of my lessons are individual lessons and vary in length of time, location and level. Some meet in coffee shops, some in the student's home, and some at my church.
On Mondays, I meet with Ingrid. I met her back in August, during my TEFL course. She was actually a student of mine for a week during that course. She's from Slovakia and is an anesthesiologist. We have had some really interesting conversations, ranging from family to differences between the CZ and the US to medicine (you should be impressed, Mom!) to spirituality.
Tuesdays have two lessons...though one is more informal and is more of a Czech-English exchange. That's with Hanka. She's from my church and for a time, we were part of the same women's Bible Study (though since her daughter was born, she hasn't been able to come as often). She's on maternity leave right now and has more free time. I enjoy our times together because we are both learning how to speak the other's language. And, I'm super grateful that she's so patient with my Czech attempts!
My second lesson is with Vendy. She and I met last year at the Family Center (at my church). She has two small children, both of whom keep her quite busy! She loves to be active herself and will often compete in various orienteering events through the CZ. During our lessons, I often hear about her different events, which sound quite fascinating to me. I am learning a lot from her!
On Wednesdays, I am at the Family Center. This is the day that I teach the mothers. Last year, the number of mothers that attended ranged from 4-6...this year, there is usually 8 that come each week. What a fun group of women! I've been enjoying meeting and getting to know them! And, because of them, I am much more knowledgeable on the differences in raising children in the CZ and the US (a BIG thank you to those who helped me out!). :)
Thursdays are the busiest days of lessons, with 3. I start my day at the Family Center teaching English to the kids. Their ages are 1-4. Mirka (one of the women from church who runs the Center) and I plan these lessons together - what a huge blessing! Our lessons follow the structure of what they do on Mondays and Tuesdays (at least loosely). Because the kids are so young, we do translate some things into Czech. I definitely become more child-like during these times! But, such fun!!
Thursday afternoons, I meet with Anicka. She's 8 and loves to draw. She also loves games. She's taught me a few games and I've taught her Dutch Blitz. We have a lot of fun together. :)
Then in the evenings, I meet with Katka. She's Vendy's sister. It's fun to teach sisters. They have similar interests, and yet are quite different. Katka often has ideas of what she wants to work on, which makes lesson planning easier. But, it has been a lot of fun to come up with creative ways to introduce new topics. And, she's a really motivated student, which makes teaching more fun.
My week ends with a Friday afternoon lesson with Zdenek. I used to meet with him and his wife (I met her last year when she would bring their grandson to the Family Center), but she's decided not to continue. I learn so much from Zdenek about Prague, life in the CZ, and many other topics...including my own government. Though I do plan lessons, I never really know where our conversations will end up - but that's the part I love!
There are so many other things that I could say about my students and teaching English in Prague...but that'll have to be another time. :) I hope you enjoyed your glimpse into my life as an English teacher! Until next time...
Funny how it's now the main thing that I do...
But, I can honestly say that it is a real joy (well, except for that pesky lesson planning, ha!).
I thought I'd "introduce" you to my students and give you a glimpse into what my week of lessons often looks like. Most of my lessons are individual lessons and vary in length of time, location and level. Some meet in coffee shops, some in the student's home, and some at my church.
On Mondays, I meet with Ingrid. I met her back in August, during my TEFL course. She was actually a student of mine for a week during that course. She's from Slovakia and is an anesthesiologist. We have had some really interesting conversations, ranging from family to differences between the CZ and the US to medicine (you should be impressed, Mom!) to spirituality.
Tuesdays have two lessons...though one is more informal and is more of a Czech-English exchange. That's with Hanka. She's from my church and for a time, we were part of the same women's Bible Study (though since her daughter was born, she hasn't been able to come as often). She's on maternity leave right now and has more free time. I enjoy our times together because we are both learning how to speak the other's language. And, I'm super grateful that she's so patient with my Czech attempts!
My second lesson is with Vendy. She and I met last year at the Family Center (at my church). She has two small children, both of whom keep her quite busy! She loves to be active herself and will often compete in various orienteering events through the CZ. During our lessons, I often hear about her different events, which sound quite fascinating to me. I am learning a lot from her!
On Wednesdays, I am at the Family Center. This is the day that I teach the mothers. Last year, the number of mothers that attended ranged from 4-6...this year, there is usually 8 that come each week. What a fun group of women! I've been enjoying meeting and getting to know them! And, because of them, I am much more knowledgeable on the differences in raising children in the CZ and the US (a BIG thank you to those who helped me out!). :)
Thursdays are the busiest days of lessons, with 3. I start my day at the Family Center teaching English to the kids. Their ages are 1-4. Mirka (one of the women from church who runs the Center) and I plan these lessons together - what a huge blessing! Our lessons follow the structure of what they do on Mondays and Tuesdays (at least loosely). Because the kids are so young, we do translate some things into Czech. I definitely become more child-like during these times! But, such fun!!
Thursday afternoons, I meet with Anicka. She's 8 and loves to draw. She also loves games. She's taught me a few games and I've taught her Dutch Blitz. We have a lot of fun together. :)
Then in the evenings, I meet with Katka. She's Vendy's sister. It's fun to teach sisters. They have similar interests, and yet are quite different. Katka often has ideas of what she wants to work on, which makes lesson planning easier. But, it has been a lot of fun to come up with creative ways to introduce new topics. And, she's a really motivated student, which makes teaching more fun.
My week ends with a Friday afternoon lesson with Zdenek. I used to meet with him and his wife (I met her last year when she would bring their grandson to the Family Center), but she's decided not to continue. I learn so much from Zdenek about Prague, life in the CZ, and many other topics...including my own government. Though I do plan lessons, I never really know where our conversations will end up - but that's the part I love!
There are so many other things that I could say about my students and teaching English in Prague...but that'll have to be another time. :) I hope you enjoyed your glimpse into my life as an English teacher! Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment