Friday, March 23, 2012

Life in these parts

Greetings from Prague!

The past day and a half, I've been laid up in bed with a nasty head cold. While this isn't fun, I thought maybe I could still be productive and finally get to that blog entry I've been meaning to write...so here goes. If something doesn't make sense, I blame the cold meds! :)

I have seen God work in a number of ways in the past month. Let me share a few ways.

My birthday was at the beginning of March (on a Sunday). Something really cool happened on Monday in class. Three of my classmates gave me gifts. The gifts themselves were very thought-through and fit me pretty well, but the most amazing part is who they are from. The three classmates were all girls that I've felt led to either have one-on-one conversations with or I've felt like God wanted me to try to get to know more. I was humbled and encouraged. It was definitely a reminder that God is the one bringing these conversations and relationships into being. He is the one who is doing this, not me!! 

On Tuesdays, I have my English-speaking Bible Study (with other ex-pat women). This same week, we were studying Isaiah 37. When I read verse 30, I felt like the Lord was saying, "this is your verse." It says...Then Isaiah said to Hezekiah, “Here is the proof that what I say is true: “This year you will eat only what grows up by itself, and next year you will eat what springs up from that. But in the third year you will plant crops and harvest them; you will tend vineyards and eat their fruit." As you all know, I'm here on a 3 year term...well, as I read this, I felt God saying that in year 1 I may not see much happening...year 2 I may see a bit more...but in year 3, I will be able to see many ways that He has worked. It was another encouragement that God is here and He is working! 

At the beginning of this week, my one and only teammate, Emily, returned to the States. While I am very excited for her and all that God has in store for her, it a lot harder for me than I realized it would be. Yes, I have relationships and connections here, but it’s not quite the same as having a teammate with you…someone who knows the organization and the people…someone who knows what a Mennonite is (and what they believe)…someone who understands your background and belief system. The first day was especially hard for me, but I was able to do some processing (both with God and with others) and feel like I’m at a better place now. Yes, those thoughts and ideas about not having a teammate still exist, but knowing that I am where I am right now for a reason…it’s comforting. Besides, what better way for God to show himself present to me!  

1 comment:

  1. Encouraging to read how the Lord is with you to encourage you...a hug across the miles!

    ReplyDelete