I figured it was about time that I wrote about that here, since maybe you have the same questions.
*Disclaimer: For those of you who have seen the July 2011 edition of the Missionary Messenger (EMM's monthly magazine) or who have heard me share about my journey, this is going to be a review.
Without further ado, here's my story...
It all started back in 1983 when I was 3 years old. My parents took me and my younger sister (who was a year old) to East Africa to visit my Aunt and Uncle who were serving with Mennonite Central Committee (MCC). Though I don't remember much from that trip, I do remember coming back telling my parents that I was going to be a missionary in Africa some day. I'm not sure what their reaction was, but I envision that it was one of cautious skepticism ("we'll see how long this idea lasts before she changes her mind"). The funny thing is, it was always there, in the back of my mind.
Throughout the years, it would vacillate between "something I wanted to do" and "something I was sure I'd NEVER do." Even in the midst of those "I never want to do THAT" times, Africa continued to intrigue me...from pictures, movies set in Africa, missionaries sharing at our church...it was there, in the recesses of my mind.
Then I spent 2.5 weeks in Israel on my cross-cultural trip with Bluffton College. While I enjoyed my time in the Middle East, it went beyond that. It re-ignited something in me...God was once again opening my eyes to the world.
The next summer, I went on my first short-term assignment with EMM; to Hong Kong of all places. I'm pretty sure that was (in my mind) the farthest thing from Kenya that I could get. When I received the letter telling me that I was headed to Hong Kong, I was not excited. At that time, I didn't even like Chinese food or couldn't eat with chopsticks; how in the world would I survive for a whole month?! But throughout that experience, God was showing me that, even though I didn't speak the language, He could still use me to show His love to those around me. It was an experience I won't easily forget...I was changed; "ruined for the ordinary" as the saying goes.
But what did that mean for my future?
I distinctly remember leaving the Harrisburg Discipleship Center (HDC) and hearing one of the staff members say, "see you here next fall for YES." NO WAY was I going to be in YES the next fall. I was going to graduate, find a good-paying job, and give money to support missions. That was all I needed to do...the missions box of my life was "checked off."
It didn't quite work that way.
A few months later, I found myself in contact with EMM once again, this time about a YES assignment. Kenya was still the place that I wanted to go (because I was positive that once there, I would spend the rest of my life there); the only complicating factor was that EMM didn't have a YES team going to Kenya that year. Instead, I found myself headed to the islands of Southern Chile. Don't get me wrong, I had heard Chile was beautiful...but it wasn't Kenya. While there, God continued to show me His heart for the nations. I realized anew that He truly does desire a relationship with each of His children, in every part of the world. I look back on my time in Chile as one where I grew a lot, both in my knowledge of God and of His work in my own life.
After returning from Chile, I ended up leading both a STAT and a YES team. The STAT team went to Southern Spain and the YES team ended up being to Nairobi, Kenya. I was FINALLY going to be in Kenya, where things would simply fall in to place for the rest of my life.
It didn't quite work that way. Again.
Within a month of being in Kenya, I knew that I wasn't going to be there beyond my initial YES term. So, what did that mean? Wasn't I called to serve God as a missionary to Africa? Hadn't I been dreaming of this for 20 years? What now?
In the midst of these questions, I felt God simply say, "I'm calling you to the nations." I got the sense that He would lead me, if I would allow Him to. I also got the sense that it wouldn't look like I thought it would.
After returning from Kenya, I ended up living in Lancaster, PA and eventually began working at EMM. A few years after I started working at EMM, they started talking about sending a team to begin working in the Czech Republic. At the time, I couldn't even find the Czech Republic on the map! I later learned that it was surrounded by Germany, Poland, Slovakia and Austria...in case you're not sure yourself. :)
Not once did I envision that this was the place I'd end up. But, God had other plans. Through a series of events, God began developing within me a love for those who have been hurt by the church...for those who don't even know if there is a God...for those who would rather rely on themselves instead of a God who they don't have time for or aren't sure they even need. Slowly, God began breaking my heart for the Czech people. I began to catch glimpses of it when I would pray for the nation.
Did you know that the Czech Republic is considered to be the most atheistic nation of Europe? That fact breaks my heart, and I know that it breaks God's heart too. He desires for all of His children to know Him.
Don't get me wrong, I struggled with the idea of going to the Czech Republic at first. But, in the end, I wanted to be obedient. It was through a song, "God of This City" by Chris Tomlin, that I finally realized God was calling me to the Czech.
A year later, as I was circling Prague to descend (on my first visit to the nation), I looked out the window and thought, "wow, that looks like home." I meant Ohio when I said it because of the green fields that surround the capital city. But I stopped myself...maybe, just maybe, that was also prophetic too. And, you know what? It was. As soon as I stepped off the plane, God's peace enveloped me and I KNEW that I was supposed to be there.
Yes, I'm scared. Yes, there will be bumps along the way. Yes, there will be days when I want to give up and head home. Yes, I'll get lonely. But, that can't keep me from going. God has called and I want to be obedient. So, to the Czech Republic I'll go.
![]() |
| in Somalia, age 3 |
Throughout the years, it would vacillate between "something I wanted to do" and "something I was sure I'd NEVER do." Even in the midst of those "I never want to do THAT" times, Africa continued to intrigue me...from pictures, movies set in Africa, missionaries sharing at our church...it was there, in the recesses of my mind.
![]() |
| Our cross-cultural group |
The next summer, I went on my first short-term assignment with EMM; to Hong Kong of all places. I'm pretty sure that was (in my mind) the farthest thing from Kenya that I could get. When I received the letter telling me that I was headed to Hong Kong, I was not excited. At that time, I didn't even like Chinese food or couldn't eat with chopsticks; how in the world would I survive for a whole month?! But throughout that experience, God was showing me that, even though I didn't speak the language, He could still use me to show His love to those around me. It was an experience I won't easily forget...I was changed; "ruined for the ordinary" as the saying goes.
But what did that mean for my future?
I distinctly remember leaving the Harrisburg Discipleship Center (HDC) and hearing one of the staff members say, "see you here next fall for YES." NO WAY was I going to be in YES the next fall. I was going to graduate, find a good-paying job, and give money to support missions. That was all I needed to do...the missions box of my life was "checked off."
It didn't quite work that way.
![]() |
| Southern Chile |
After returning from Chile, I ended up leading both a STAT and a YES team. The STAT team went to Southern Spain and the YES team ended up being to Nairobi, Kenya. I was FINALLY going to be in Kenya, where things would simply fall in to place for the rest of my life.
It didn't quite work that way. Again.
Within a month of being in Kenya, I knew that I wasn't going to be there beyond my initial YES term. So, what did that mean? Wasn't I called to serve God as a missionary to Africa? Hadn't I been dreaming of this for 20 years? What now?
In the midst of these questions, I felt God simply say, "I'm calling you to the nations." I got the sense that He would lead me, if I would allow Him to. I also got the sense that it wouldn't look like I thought it would.
After returning from Kenya, I ended up living in Lancaster, PA and eventually began working at EMM. A few years after I started working at EMM, they started talking about sending a team to begin working in the Czech Republic. At the time, I couldn't even find the Czech Republic on the map! I later learned that it was surrounded by Germany, Poland, Slovakia and Austria...in case you're not sure yourself. :)Not once did I envision that this was the place I'd end up. But, God had other plans. Through a series of events, God began developing within me a love for those who have been hurt by the church...for those who don't even know if there is a God...for those who would rather rely on themselves instead of a God who they don't have time for or aren't sure they even need. Slowly, God began breaking my heart for the Czech people. I began to catch glimpses of it when I would pray for the nation.
Did you know that the Czech Republic is considered to be the most atheistic nation of Europe? That fact breaks my heart, and I know that it breaks God's heart too. He desires for all of His children to know Him.
Don't get me wrong, I struggled with the idea of going to the Czech Republic at first. But, in the end, I wanted to be obedient. It was through a song, "God of This City" by Chris Tomlin, that I finally realized God was calling me to the Czech.
A year later, as I was circling Prague to descend (on my first visit to the nation), I looked out the window and thought, "wow, that looks like home." I meant Ohio when I said it because of the green fields that surround the capital city. But I stopped myself...maybe, just maybe, that was also prophetic too. And, you know what? It was. As soon as I stepped off the plane, God's peace enveloped me and I KNEW that I was supposed to be there.
Yes, I'm scared. Yes, there will be bumps along the way. Yes, there will be days when I want to give up and head home. Yes, I'll get lonely. But, that can't keep me from going. God has called and I want to be obedient. So, to the Czech Republic I'll go.



No comments:
Post a Comment