There were some days when I didn’t think my return to Prague
would happen. There were days when I questioned what the draw was to live
overseas. There were days when I felt impatient, and days when I relished the
activities and even the routine of life in the US. Now, I am (almost) three
weeks in, having returned to Prague days after Easter. As I reflect back on the
journey leading up to my return to Prague, as well as the three weeks I’ve been
back, I remember the questions.
Questions like:
·
Would my Czech come back?
·
Would relationships that I built still be there?
·
Would I remember where to find things in the
grocery store?
·
What will it be like to be the foreigner again?
But there were also questions about leaving the US.
·
Would the relationship that I built with my
nephews stand, once we returned to only Skype and FaceTime?
·
How will things change while I’m gone?
·
How am I going to deal with missing out on
family events again?
·
Will I miss the over-attentive waitresses and
the ability to communicate with ease?
But the question I keep coming back to is…did I make the
most of my 9.5 months in the US? Was I able to connect with people and to
invest in the lives of those I rarely see? Will I look back on these months
with fondness or with disappointment of unmet expectations?
While I really wasn’t sure I wanted to spend so many months
in the US, I am very grateful that I had the opportunity. These months were
filled with big things, like completing my Master’s studies and celebrating
life events. They were filled with emotional things, like visiting Grandma’s grave
and moving Grandpa out of the farmhouse to the nursing home. They were filled
with trips and weekends away. And they were filled with the every day events of
life – reading to my nephews, drawing animals for Caden to color, playing
tractors with Grahm, binge-watching shows with my sisters, many conversations
with a variety of people and the list goes on. Without these nine months in the
States, I would have missed out on that. I would have missed Grahm’s sweet
voice telling me to “take me to Prague, Stacy!” it was a precious time.
At the same time, it was hard to live in transition, knowing
that I wasn’t living in my own home and that I was dependent on the generosity
of others. I would think of my life in Prague randomly each day, for a variety
of reasons.
Now, here I am. The past three weeks have been filled with
settling in and re-engaging with people. It has included home group and helping
out at the Family Center. I have gone to church and actually understood parts
of the sermons. I have started both Czech and English lessons again. I have
even hosted visitors to Prague already!
As I look to the future, I am not sure what the future
holds. In many ways, I feel like I have a clean slate, now that Grad School is
finished. I can take the time to sit with God and hear his heart for this place
and the work that he wants me to do. I can invest in people that I didn’t feel
I had enough time for before. I can focus more on improving my Czech skills.
This excites me and I look forward to what lies ahead.
To those of you who hosted me, met me for coffee or a meal,
attended a fundraising event, supported me (financially and in prayer), or simply
spent some time with me: Thank you. I am grateful for the time I had with you!
To those in Prague who have welcomed me back, I thank you as
well. You have helped to make my transition go smoothly. I look forward to more
time together in the future!
No comments:
Post a Comment