Monday, December 9, 2013

Living in the liminal space of Advent


A few years ago, as I was preparing to go to the Czech Republic, I heard a sermon on living in liminal spaces [those places where we are waiting for something, but it hasn’t happened yet]. That sermon really struck me because I felt like I was living in one of those spaces. I was preparing for life in the Czech, I was excited about going and all that I would experience there, and yet, I was still in the US waiting to go.

When I shared this part of my story at an EMM chapel, someone came up to me later and said that life is full of liminal spaces and that I would feel that way often. I didn’t realize how true those words would be.

During this season of Advent, I realized that Advent itself is a liminal space. We are believing, hoping, waiting for Christmas…for Jesus’ return…and yet it’s not here…yet. We are confident that Christmas (the reminder of Jesus’ coming to earth the first time as a baby in a manger) is coming. We are also confident that Christ will return at the end of the age.
Advent wreath that I made in Germany

Each Sunday of Advent, we light candles as a sign. Each week another one is added, until they are all lit. It’s a physical symbol of the waiting process.

I’m also reminded of many other things that I’m believing for that aren’t…yet. Believing for transformation in people’s lives…believing for healing…believing for provision…believing for _______. Sometimes it’s hard to keep believing, especially when we don’t see results…or we lack patience…or we simply have doubts. No one ever said that faith would be easy. Like the father that brought his son to Jesus for healing in Mark 9, I say, “I do believe, help me to overcome my unbelief!”.

That is my prayer today and throughout this season. That as I’m waiting and hoping for things to come, God will continue to give me the faith to overcome my unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment