Saturday, October 8, 2011

Bold Humility, what's that?!

Bold Humility

Don’t those two words feel like an oxymoron? It seems to me that they are. How can one be both bold and humble? And yet, those two words (together) have been something that I’ve prayed for more of over the past, oh probably 7 years.

So, what’s that have to do with now?

Before I go any farther, I want to give some definitions (according to dictionary.com)
  • Bold: not hesitating or fearful in the face of actual or possible danger or rebuff; courageous and daring; not hesitating to break the rules of propriety; forward; challenging; beyond the usual limits of conventional thought or action; imaginative; flashy; showy.
  • Humility: the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one’s own importance, rank, etc.
  • Humble: not proud or arrogant; modest; having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, subservience; low in rank, importance, status, quality, lowly; courteously respectful; low in height, level, small in size

Now I really think they’re close to opposites.

But, when you stop to think about it, aren’t there a lot of things in the Christian faith that seem to be opposites? Isn’t that what we mean by “the Upside Down Kingdom”? All that talk about loving your enemies and the first shall be last? Wouldn’t you consider those opposites too?

Back to bold humility.

Like I said, for the past number of years, that phrase has struck me. It’s been something that I’ve periodically thought about; desiring to be both bold about my faith and humble in my approach. I wanted to share the power and truth of Christ, but not in a way that tears others down or makes me sound condescending.

No, I’m not saying that I want to be someone who never shares or takes advantage of the situations God places me in, in an attempt to be humble. Nor am I saying that I want to be a doormat, allowing people to walk all over me.

What I am saying is that I want to be one who loves people so much that everything I do is in love.  I want to be authentic. (Does that sound familiar? I feel like I just blogged about that too! J)

Before you think I have it all together and get it right all the time, please stop. I’m human. Yes, that’s my desire, but no, I’m not always that way. And, that’s where God’s grace comes in for me too. J

Even though it’s been something I’ve desired, it hasn’t always been at the forefront of my mind. The funny thing is though, that as I began to embark on this journey, I’ve had a few people pray that exact phrase (and similar other ones) over me. It’s like God wants to remind me of my prayer from years ago.

To those who were obedient and prayed that over me, I thank you.

To the rest of you, I challenge you to think about how you’re being bold for Christ and yet humble in your approach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment